1. Learn about the Campaign.
- Educate Yourself! Communities Organizing to Demilitarize Enforcement's mission is to address the current human rights crisis and bring an end to the militarization of our communities through the 1033, 1122, and UASI grant programs. Essential to this work and addressing these challenges is building an understanding of what these programs have done, why they must be addressed and the options at our command. Read our statement on why demilitarize, and visit our media section for the latest news on what can and is being done.
2. Pass a Resolution.
The federal government has thus far failed to provide reasonable restrictions and oversight on the use of military grade weapons by police and have in fact incentivized the militarization of police through the Department of Defense's 1033 Program and the Department of Homeland Security's Homeland Security Grant Program. You can protect your community from militarization by starting local. Work within your community to pass a resolution against the militarization of your police department.
3. Strength in numbers.
- Sign the Petition! Your representatives need to hear from YOU. Sign our petition Tell the Secretary of the Department of Homeland Security Jeh Johnson and Department of Defense Secretary Ash Carter: Stop giving military equipment to law enforcement agencies!
- Call your representative and use our sample script:
- Good day, my name is [YOUR NAME] and I am calling from [YOUR CITY] to express my sincere concern with the militarization of our local police and lack of accountability for police nationwide. Programs like the Department of Defense 1033 program that not only arm our local police with the tools of war, but incentivize excessive policing by mandating the equipment be used within one year of receipt, have added to a mindset of policing that no longer see themselves as members of the community, but instead as at-risk occupying forces. As a concerned resident of my community, I am calling to ask that you support demilitarization legislation and the creation of a state level special prosecutors office to investigate police misconduct. I couldn't in good faith vote for a candidate that does not see these as two of the most pressing concerns facing our nation and community. I trust you do.
4. Plan an Action.
- Engage your community, gather your allies and stage an action. Call CODE campaign organizer Chelsea Byers to get a list of the equipment your local police have acquired and discuss how we can support you in taking it to the streets and building awareness.
- Already have an action planned? Post it here and let us help you get out the word and build support.
5. Spread the Word
- Spread the word to your friends, relatives, and your local and global communities. Every conversation, post, and action builds awareness and pushes us one step closer to ridding our communities of the tools of war.